Alex is a Legal Director in our London litigation group with extensive experience of domestic and international cases.
Main areas of practice
In the past 2 years, he has conducted cases across 7 jurisdictions with over US $9bn in contention. With a focus on pursuing or defending assets in complex civil fraud situations, Alex has pursued his clients’ interests in the UK, BVI, Cayman, Cyprus, Hong Kong, Switzerland, Gibraltar, France, Spain and multiple U.S. states.
Alex has acted for energy majors, technology companies, African mineral resource investors, international law firms and individuals with enterprise-level disputes.
- Civil Fraud and Asset Recovery
- International Litigation
- Corporate and Shareholder Disputes
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
Alex qualified in 2006 with Blake Morgan legacy business, Tarlo Lyons, and re-joined the firm after five years at global litigation firm, Kobre & Kim, in 2020. He was admitted in the BVI in 2017.
- Energy major in defending against enforcement of fraudulently obtained US $9bn judgment.
- Ultra high net-worth individual in defence against unlawful business interference by high-profile aggressor.
- Global technology business in High Court litigation against part sovereign-owned commodities trading business. Appeal currently pending in the Supreme Court.
- Ultra high net-worth individual in pursuing lawyers for fraudulent misuse of client funds.
- Victim of joint venture >US$50m fraud concerning West African mineral rights business.
- Ultra high net-worth individual in defamation case against major U.S. based global publication.
- Liquidator of Asian sports broadcasting business in investigating company assets.
- Investment Bank in developing claims against opponent’s evasion of >US$50m Arbitration award.
- Trustee in bankruptcy in investigating Jersey trust assets.
- Defendants of Madoff “Ponzi” scheme BVI litigation in Privy Council appeal.
- Liquidators in Bermudian appeal to the Privy Council in Saad Investments / Singularis v PWC.
- Singaporean offshore oilrig warehousing business in multi-US$m asset finance claim.
- Private equity firm in multi-US$m aviation sector M&A dispute.
- Major London casino in multiple claims against delinquent gaming debtors, frequently involving recovery of international assets.
- Fast Moving Consumer Goods business in responding to anti-trust merger inquiry.
Insights by Alexander
Recently, the English Court has decided that Russian bankruptcy law prevents direct creditor action in the UK when Russian insolvency proceedings are underway. This decision blocked a Russian bank's attempt...Read More
English Court confirms its appetite to allow fraud and asset recovery campaigns to be pursued against Crypto Assets in AA v Persons Unknown. However, the path to recovery is still...Read More