Mathew Kidwell Partner - Corporate and Energy Transactions
Mathew Kidwell is a partner in the Corporate team at Blake Morgan. The core of his practice over the last 20+ years has been focused on transactional work primarily related to the energy, natural resources and infrastructure sectors, and frequently with a cross-border element.
Main areas of practice
- Acquisitions and divestitures of companies and project interests, including farm-ins /-outs.
- Project development, joint ventures and construction work.
- Energy contracts.
- Financing transactions, including project and structured finance, reserves-based lending, syndicated multi-currency facilities, and hedging in respect of commodity prices, currencies and interest rates.
Mathew advises corporates (including energy companies), private equity investors, lenders, and government agencies.
Mathew's experience has encompassed all aspects of the energy chain from and including oil & gas exploration and production, refining, pipeline development, transportation, regulation, and power generation (from both conventional and renewable sources) and transmission. Examples include representing:
Acquisitions & Divestitures (M&A)
- A major European-based oil company on a portfolio acquisition of oilfield interests in the Norwegian sector of the North Sea.
- A NYSE-listed energy company on the $898M divestment of its portfolio of oilfield interests, comprising nine offshore blocks.
- An oil major throughout its successful bid to acquire an interest in an integrated gas project and subsequent negotiations for the purchase and related accession arrangements.
- A consortium of international investors on their bid to acquire a Canadian (TMX) listed oil company with upstream assets in Central Asia.
Energy Projects – Oil & Gas
- The refining division of a national oil company in the establishment of a joint venture with a Scandinavian oil company to develop and operate a specialist base oil refinery.
- A U.S. oil major in relation to the arrangements for the transportation, handling and lifting of sulphur produced from a sour gas field development, together with the expansion of an export terminal and development of associated rail transportation infrastructure.
- The lead sponsor in an east Africa LNG liquefaction / export project.
- An oil major, as lead investor and operator, in relation to the grant of a new production concession and the formation of a joint venture between domestic and international oil companies to develop a heavy oil field, using thermal enhanced oil recovery (EOR) techniques.
- A national oil company in the renewal of its concession to an international joint venture company to develop and operate gas processing facilities.
Energy Projects – Electric Power
- A U.S. corporation on the acquisition of a portfolio of clean and renewable electric generation projects in the UK.
- A government agency in relation to the development of a power and water plant on a build-operate-transfer (BOT) basis.
- An international energy company on a gas-fired power project in Mato Grosso, Brazil, including the power purchase agreement with a distribution company offtaker.
Banking & Finance
- An oil major in relation to the financing of a cross-border subsea natural gas pipeline, involving conventional and Islamic project finance totaling US$3.45BN.
- Senior lenders in relation to various independent power projects, including merchant power plants, in the UK and Turkey.
- BNP Paribas as senior lender on the Dalmuir Wastewater Project, the UK’s largest single-scheme water treatment project to be project financed with a value of approximately £80M.
- A bank as lead arranger of syndicated non-recourse revolving/borrowing base loan facilities to finance oil and gas developments in the UK and Dutch sectors of the North Sea.
- A U.S. private equity fund, as the principal equity participant in an investment vehicle for participations in North Sea gas fields in relation to limited recourse senior debt facilities. The purpose of the facilities was to fund the acquisition and development of gas field participations.
In his practice, Mathew has particular experience of handling public law, policy and constitutional issues, both in the UK and internationally, as a result of handling numerous assignments for or with governments and public sector bodies.
Related Knowledge & Resources
Our expert explains the changes to the Criminal Offences Act and what you need to to to reduce the risk to your business.
Blake Morgan's Corporate team acted for the shareholders of Templegate Electrical Supplies Limited, in connection with the sale to Morris Mclellan Limited, a member of the JW Morris Group.
Developers are geared up to carry out necessary remediation of brownfield sites through the planning process, but what happens if there is historical contamination on land that they have sold to homeowners years before?