Tom Walker Senior Associate Barrister
“Ranked as ‘Up and Coming’ ”
Tom specialises in criminal, regulatory and professional disciplinary law. Tom provides specialist advice to a range of different clients, including individual employees, Directors and organisations in both the public and private sectors.
Main areas of practice
Criminal and Regulatory: Tom regularly advises in relation to the criminal and regulatory aspects of health and safety, health and social care, environment, planning enforcement, competition, bribery, food safety, trading standards and consumer protection. Tom acts on behalf of prosecutors, and both individual and corporate defendants. Tom provides assistance to clients at all stages of criminal proceedings, and assists with representation at interviews under caution conducted by the police and other agencies. Tom also conducts general criminal work to private clients.
Professional Disciplinary: Tom regularly conducts work on professional disciplinary cases involving health and social care professionals, teachers and solicitors. Tom acts on behalf of regulatory bodies, individuals, and also acts as a legal advisor to professional conduct committees.
- Extensive Criminal Court and Regulatory Tribunal experience, which includes the successful conduct of numerous multi-day trials, and involvement in a number of complex and high-profile criminal cases involving fatalities;
- Appearing in the Criminal Courts on behalf of prosecutors, to include the HSE, RSPCA and National Park Authorities;
- Involvement in health and safety cases in the agricultural, road transport, maritime, manufacturing, construction, leisure and utilities sectors.
- Advising prosecution agencies in relation to corporate manslaughter and work-related death investigations and acting on behalf of such agencies at inquests;
- Acting for individuals in manslaughter investigations and prosecutions;
- Acting for individual directors and companies in health and social care investigations conducted by the Care Quality Commission and Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales;
- Advising directors and companies in relation to investigations conducted by trading standards agencies in relation to pricing and selling practices;
- Advising very large organisations in relation to EU-wide product recalls, involving electrical, consumer and food products;
- Advising directors and companies in relation to formal undertakings and criminal proceedings under the Enterprise Act 2002;
- Acting for directors and companies in fraud and consumer protection proceedings, to include prosecutions in the Crown Court;
- Acting for clients in water pollution and breach of planning control prosecutions;
- Advising clients in relation to food labelling, health claims, food product recalls, and acting for clients in food safety prosecutions;
- Advising clients in relation to criminal appeals, including applications to the Court of Appeal and the Criminal Cases Review Commission;
- Provision of bespoke training sessions to prosecution agencies in relation to criminal procedure, disclosure and expert evidence.
Articles by Tom
Under the common law, whenever proof of criminal intent is required, corporate criminal liability for economic crime involves application of the identification doctrine.
Tesco PLC has announced that its subsidiary, Tesco Stores Limited, has in principle reached a Deferred Prosecution Agreement regarding historic false accounting practices.
A recent prosecution of a Care Provider by the HSE shows the tragic consequences of failing to control the risks posed by water temperatures.
Related Knowledge & Resources
The High Court dismissed an appeal made by the appellant Doctor against a finding on a second review of a substantive order of current impairment and sanction of a 6-month suspension order.
The Respondent had appeared before the Medical Practitioners Tribunal ("the MPT") for dishonesty charges arising out of his conduct as a Locum Paediatric Registrar on 13 December 2014, when he was dealing with Patient A.
Our Driver Defence solicitors have helped many clients avoid disqualification or points on their licence through mitigating circumstances, click here for examples of how we have helped our clients facing a driving ban.
Blake Morgan's guide for large goods and passenger-carrying vehicles regulated in regard to hours of work and records kept for domestic and EC regulations.
Blake Morgan's guide to drink driving offences