Ian Skuse advises leisure and business travel clients as well as major airlines on a wide range of regulatory and commercial matters, including advertising and data protection. Sources state: "If you're looking for a business travel expert, he's your man.
Ian is a leading commercial lawyer in the airline, business travel and leisure travel sectors. He is a well-known and respected key adviser to travel businesses, and regular presenter and commentator on airline and travel trade issues.
Main areas of practice
- Ian is a key adviser to major airlines in areas of competition, distribution, sales and marketing and other regulated areas of their operations.
- He is also a well-known and leading adviser in the business travel sector, working with travel management companies, their suppliers and trade consortia.
- Ian also represents and advises a variety of businesses in the leisure travel sector including tour operators, travel agents, destination management companies, hotels and other service providers.
- Airline clients include Air France and KLM.
- In the travel management sector, Ian advises consortia such as the Advantage Focus Group, as well as major domestic and international travel management companies in connection with their commercial affairs and compliance with regulation.
Leisure travel clients include cruise companies, destination focused tour operators, and domestic and overseas suppliers of travel services.
- Association of British Travel Agents
- Travel and Tourism Lawyers Association
- Fellow of the Institute of Travel and Tourism
- Chartered Institute of Marketing (Travel Group Industry)
- Advising airlines in connection with online distribution through vertical agreements with travel agents, including nationwide incentive agreements, marketing campaigns and competition law issues.
- Key adviser to major airlines in connection with compliance with EU Regulation 261/2004 and the management of volume claims relating to delayed and cancelled flights.
- Key advice to travel management companies in connection with RFP and drafting Travel Management Services Agreement between the TMC and key corporate clients.
- Advising clients in the leisure sector in connection with changes to the ATOL Regulations and drafting new Agency Agreements for sales through the trade.
- Advising clients in connection with force majeure incidents, including outbreak of war, strikes, with all associated compliance issues, refunds, re-bookings and compliance with the Package Travel Regulations.
Ian is regularly contacted by certain airlines and other clients regarding unusual and exceptional issues, for example substantial breaches of contract relating to airport equipment, airline pilot software, defective travel booking software, substantial disputes involving IATA and ticketing fraud and claims for loss of high value take-off and landing slots at London Heathrow Airport.
Ian is a well-known presenter to the travel trade and has recently presented at ABTA’s annual legal seminar, the Lexis Nexis conference on travel law issues, at the Business Travel Show on business travel, and regularly presents to clients.
Ian is personable, knowledgeable and proactive.