Kate has experience of contentious and non-contentious construction and engineering projects.
Main areas of practice
Kate has experience of a range of contentious matters, including litigation, adjudication and mediation. She is experienced in liaising with expert witnesses on a range of technical matters. Kate has negotiated and prepared a range of building contracts, professional appointments and related construction documents and is familiar with standard form contracts, including NEC, JCT and PPC2000.
She has also prepared reports on the adequacy of construction documents for secured lending transactions. Kate also has a particular interest in environmental law and had advised on issues concerning waste and contaminated land.
Kate qualified in 2011 after completing her Legal Practice Course at Swansea University. Prior to this she gained a Distinction in her Graduate Diploma in Law and a Diploma in Business Administration.
- UKELA (UK Environmental Law Association)
- UKELA Wales Working Party and Sub-committee member
- Built Environment: Civils contractor – Assisted with an adjudication concerning issues regarding variations and quantum on a highways matter. Assisting in successfully resisting enforcement of the adjudicator’s decision in the Technology and Construction Court (March 2012).
- Health & Social Care: NHS Trust – Assisted with issues arising from a contractor’s failure to achieve the specification for mechanical works, impacting on the care of immuno-suppressed patients. Liaised with the Trust’s project team, expert engineers and bacteriologists and advised on the design liability of the engineers and the contractor’s claim for extension of time and loss and expense (February 2013).
- Education: University – Assisted in multi-party dispute regarding defects in the construction of containment laboratories at a university hospital. Issued a claim against the University’s professional team for breach of contract. The claim was successfully concluded at a four-party evaluative mediation (June 2013).
- Swansea University - Advised on aspects of construction contracts and associated documentation for the new second campus in Swansea Bay (October 2013).