Kate is a Senior Associate in the Construction team based in Cardiff. She advises clients in relation to a range of construction and engineering disputes, involving complex technical issues.
Main areas of practice
Kate has considerable experience of litigation in the Technology and Construction Court, and also of resolving disputes through adjudication, mediation and negotiation. She has recently been involved in a series of matters relating to defects in cladding systems installed on tall buildings.
She is familiar with standard forms of contract, including JCT and NEC3/4, and can advise on building contracts, professional appointments and related construction documents.
Kate joined the firm in 2008 and qualified in 2011. She has a BSc (Hons) in Archaeological Science and went on to complete the GDL and LPC at Swansea University.
- UKELA (UK Environmental Law Association)
- UKELA Wales Working Party and Sub-committee member
- Built Environment: Civils contractor – Assisted with an adjudication concerning issues regarding variations and quantum on a highways matter. Assisting in successfully resisting enforcement of the adjudicator’s decision in the Technology and Construction Court (March 2012).
- Health & Social Care: NHS Trust – Assisted with issues arising from a contractor’s failure to achieve the specification for mechanical works, impacting on the care of immuno-suppressed patients. Liaised with the Trust’s project team, expert engineers and bacteriologists and advised on the design liability of the engineers and the contractor’s claim for extension of time and loss and expense (February 2013).
- Education: University – Assisted in multi-party dispute regarding defects in the construction of containment laboratories at a university hospital. Issued a claim against the University’s professional team for breach of contract. The claim was successfully concluded at a four-party evaluative mediation (June 2013).
- Swansea University - Advised on aspects of construction contracts and associated documentation for the new second campus in Swansea Bay (October 2013).