Kirsteen Hook gives excellent support. She understood our particular structure, ethos and therefore requirements, interpreting this to provide appropriate and timely advice.
Kirsteen is a Legal Director in the Charities team and advises charities, schools, academies and other not-for-profit organisations on a wide range of issues.
Main areas of practice
Kirsteen specialises in charity law, including general regulation and governance, Charity Commission requirements and specific issues affecting charities.
She advises on joint ventures, collaboration agreements, mergers and acquisitions, governance, charity formations, incorporations, trading, commercial arrangements, contracts and structures for charity clients, and academies and academy conversions.
Kirsteen’s clients include charities, schools, academies and other not-for-profit organisations.
Kirsteen joined the firm in 2008 and qualified into the Charities team.
She has been listed as a ‘Rising Star’ in the 2020 Legal 500 South East section.
- Charity Law Association
- Significant experience advising on charity governance, including new charity formations, structures and incorporations, and advises on charity mergers, collaborative working projects and restructuring of charities.
- Project managed a large number of academy conversions including primary and secondary schools; converter and sponsored academy conversions; special schools; pupil referral units and hospital schools; Catholic and Church of England academy conversions; new academy formations; and formation of academy sponsor MATs.
- During her training contract Kirsteen completed a six month secondment with Save the Children.
- Education: As part of the Education practice group at Blake Morgan, Kirsteen also advises on academy conversions and formations, school mergers and provides governance advice for academy trust companies and educational charities
- Training: She regularly delivers training for charity trustees
- Seminars: Kirsteen speaks at seminars and workshops for charities
- Articles: She also writes articles on issues affecting charities and not-for profit organisations and co-ordinates the Charities team e-bulletin
Kirsteen Hook has a strong track record of work with not-for-profits.
Kirsteen Hook is particularly well known for her work with academy trusts where she assists with conversions, new academies, transfers, restructuring and governance matters.
Insights by Kirsteen
The Charities Bill received Royal Assent on 24 February 2022, bringing it into law as the Charities Act 2022 but what do we know so far?Read More
Kids Company is a case that the charities sector has been watching with great interest for a number of years now since its prominent collapse in 2015, and this has...Read More
Earlier this summer the Department for Education (DfE) published the new Academy Trust Handbook which takes effect from 1 September 2021 and we summarise the key changes here. It is...Read More