Robert Cherry leads the practice and is "very easy to work with," according to impressed clients. He has a broad transactional practice, which takes in a wide range of acquisitions, MBOs and reverse takeovers.
Robert leads Blake Morgan’s Corporate team. He has a broad range of corporate transactional experience. He regularly deals with acquisitions, disposals, management buy-outs and buy-ins, private equity and venture capital transactions.
Main areas of expertise
Robert’s team has specialist expertise in implementing buy and build programmes of acquisitions and, for example, Robert had led the work for PHS Group plc, for whom alone we have acted on well over 230 acquisitions. Robert also leads the team on stock exchange and public takeover work, having advised on many AIM and official list flotations, reverse takeovers and public offers as well as regulatory advice to quoted companies.
Private Company Transactions
- Acting for PHS Group in over 230 acquisitions of office services businesses and companies in the last 17 years.
- Advising Pure Wafer plc on its acquisition of a US division of Rockwood Holdings plc.
- Advising various domiciliary care and foster care businesses in connection with the sales of their businesses to corporate and private equity acquirers.
- Advising the shareholders of Wales Environmental Limited in connection with the sale of the company to an MBO/MBI team, backed by Finance Wales Investments Limited and HSBC as well as vendor rollover equity and debt.
Private Equity Funding/Buyouts
- Acting for Nuaire Limited management team in its £35m buyout led by ECI Partners (debt from RBS) and subsequently a £73m secondary buyout led by Electra Partners (debt from Anglo-Irish Bank).
- Advising various equity investors on substantial second and third round investments in New Earth Solutions Ltd, a waste to energy project group based in the South West of England (debt facilities from Deutsche Bank).
- Advising the management teams of Cambrian Pet Foods Limited and Target Group Limited on their respective private-equity backed management buyouts.
- Advising various investee companies of Finance Wales Investments Limited, Hafren Ventures and UK Steel Enterprises amongst others, such as Inngot, Geosho, Orthos, Hydra Technologies and others.
Flotations and Reverse Takeovers
- Flotation of PHS Group plc and Medicx Fund Limited on Official List.
- Flotation of Tinopolis plc, Torex Retail plc and Galileo Resources plc on AIM.
- Reverse takeovers and admission to trading on AIM of Springhealth Leisure plc, Scott Tod Developments plc, HACAS Group plc, Celltalk Group plc, Torex Retail plc, Tinopolis plc, Pure
- Wafer plc, Immupharma plc, Kiwara plc, Photonstar LED plc and Galileo Resources plc.
- Flotation on Plus-Markets of General Industries plc and DHAIS plc and reverse takeovers of two companies by Plus-Markets acquirers.
- Donatantonio plc by its management team.
- TV Corp by Tinopolis plc.
- PHS Group plc by a buyout team led by Charterhouse (valued at £600m) (debt from RBS).
- Tinopolis plc by a buyout vehicle led by Vitruvian Capital (valued at £79m) (debt from Barclays).
Corporate Structuring Work
- Rob also deals with general corporate structuring arrangements, buy-backs, joint ventures, shareholders agreements, mergers and demergers.
HE Commercialisation projects
Advises higher education institutions on the commercialization of their proprietory intellectual property assets and spin-out projects.
Robert was admitted as a Solicitor in 1992 after compiling his Law Society Finals at Chester College of Law. He also has a MA in Law from the University of Cambridge.
He was named in the 2021 Legal 500 Hall of Fame.
Led on the corporate front by the ‘very experienced and accomplished’ Robert Cherry, Blake Morgan LLP has strong ties in the local market and beyond for a varied mix of corporates, private equity sponsors and SMEs.
Insights by Robert
A year on from the announcement by Rishi Sunak of the first raft of economic measures designed to support the country through the COVID-19 crisis, UK businesses are continuing to...Read More
In a recent judgment, Mr Justice Stuart-Smith found good reason to extend the time limit to enable the claimant, Amey Highways Ltd, to bring its claim outside the 30-day limitation period....Read More