Legal Director based in London, specialising in commercial litigation and contentious insolvency.
Main areas of practice
Simon is an experienced commercial litigation solicitor. He deals with a wide variety of disputes, primarily for corporate clients, with a focus on claims arising in the context of corporate insolvency, professional negligence recoveries and banking and finance litigation.
Simon acts for insolvency practitioners, private equity investors and a variety of international and domestic banks and financial institutions. He also has links with litigation funders and key players in the third party funding market.
Simon is keen on innovation in the funding of legal costs, investment in and acquisition of claims by third parties and finding new ways of funding commercial recoveries.
Simon graduated in law from the University of Southampton and spent 10+ years at a City of London law firm, where he was a partner, specialising in litigation and acting almost exclusively for claimants. He joined Blake Morgan LLP as a legal director as part of the commercial litigation and insolvency teams in August 2018.
He has managed teams of lawyers, large and small and has litigated at every level of the Court in England and Wales, including the Supreme Court and the Court of Appeal. He is also a keen advocate and has appeared on many occasions before the High Court and the County Court in relation to professional negligence claims.
Simon also previously worked on secondment as in-house counsel for an insurance broker acquired by a private equity investor client. He therefore has first-hand experience of what a dynamic business needs from its lawyers.
- Associate Member of R3 - The Association of Business Recovery Professionals
- Representing the minority shareholders of a bio-technology company in relation to a high value action for unfair prejudice under s.994 Companies Act 2006.
- Acting for a major German bank in relation to a complex claim for breach of duty against a commercial property valuer worth in excess of £60million, concerning high value, commercial real estate in London.
- Instructed by the liquidators of a UK based serviced office company, pursuing claims for wrongful trading and breach of duty, seeking a contribution in excess of £7million from the directors.
- Representing the successful lender before the Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court in the leading consumer credit case of Southern Pacific Securities 05-2 plc v Walker and another -  All ER (D) 66 (Jul)
- Acting for the successful petitioning creditor before the Court of Appeal in the leading bankruptcy and personal guarantee case of Norwich and Peterborough Building Society v McGuinness -  All ER (D) 63 (Nov)
Insights by Simon
In this article, Simon Hough, a legal director and litigation specialist in our Business Support and Insolvency team, takes a look at employee benefit trusts and some recent decisions arising...Read More
Simon Hough and Rebecca Wyke discover good news for litigation funders as they examine a recent Competition Appeal Tribunal ruling in relation to the funding of collective claims. The case...Read More
Rebecca Wyke and Simon Hough, in our Insolvency team, examine the High Court's decision in Secretary of State for Education v Corporation of Hadlow College to make an education administration...Read More