"She's a really good lawyer who certainly knows her stuff and exercises good judgement."
The Commercial Litigation team at Blake Morgan is named in Chambers UK 2020 as a highly respected litigation team on the South Coast. Susie is named as a seasoned practitioner with extensive experience of handling complex litigation and has been named as Lawyer of the Year for 2020 in the category of Litigation in the 11th Edition of “Best Lawyers”, an international peer review publication.
Main areas of practice
Susie is a very experienced commercial litigator who has advised on a broad range of matters over a number of years. She has been the lead partner on a number of cases involving significant and complex litigation or arbitration, including commercial contract disputes, procurement disputes, IT disputes, engineering disputes, fraud cases and professional negligence claims. In recent years, much of her work has been in the health and I.T. sectors, in which she has specialised.
Her expertise in undertaking detailed investigations and in asset recovery cases enhances her regulatory work, where she has acted for many years as Intervention Agent for the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) into interventions into solicitors’ firms.
Susie is also an accredited mediator, both acting as mediator and representing parties at mediation.
Susie has been ranked as a Leading Practitioner by Chambers UK for a number of years and is listed in Band 1 for Litigation.
- Kerry Group
- NHS England
- Sixth Form Colleges Association
- Solicitors Regulation Authority
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Healthcare Litigation
- Public Procurement
- Technology Disputes
Susie spent two years at Barlow Lyde & Gilbert then joined Blake Morgan in 1987. Susie is a CEDR accredited mediator and has a LLM in advanced litigation.
- Founder member of the Association of Regulatory and Disciplinary Lawyers
- Society for Computers and Law (SCL)
- Procurement Lawyers' Association (PLA)
- Acting for Circle Nottingham Ltd in its challenge against NHS Rushcliffe CCG in relation to the elective services contract for the Nottingham Treatment Centre, including on the application to lift. Circle Nottingham v NHS Rushcliffe CCG  EWHC 1315 (TCC)
- Acting for a clinical commissioning group in a contractual dispute arising out of a seven year fixed price Prime Contractor Contract with a private sector supplier. Concluded by way of a Binding Expert Determination. 2019
- Successfully acting for NHS England in the first case to consider the NHS (Competition, Procurement and Patient Choice) No 2 Regulations 2013. The case concerned an application for Judicial Review of a decision by NHS England not to contract with a provider for an interim period pending a national review and procurement of the service in question. Damages were also claimed under the Human Rights Act 1998. QSRC v NHS England  EWHC 3752 (admin)
- Acting for King Edward VI College in a challenge by three sixth form college teachers who alleged that too much had been deducted from their pay by way of strike pay. The case involved the application of the Apportionment Act 1870 to the collective agreement governing the terms of sixth form teachers and the correct method of calculating deduction from pay for a day’s strike action. Hartley v King Edward VI College  UKSC 39; ICR 774 SC
- Acting for Peter Symonds College in its successful defence of a High Court claim, sponsored by the NUT, concerning the correct deduction from a teacher's pay for strike action. Amey v Peter Symonds College  EWHC 2788
- Acting for IBM in successfully defending a claim by the London Borough of Southwark concerning the supply and implementation of an MDM system which Southwark alleged was not of satisfactory quality and unfit for purpose. IBM (UK) Ltd v London Borough of Southwark  EWHC 549 (TCC)
- Securing an emergency injunction following an international fraud and successfully recovering for the client a majority of the funds misappropriated
- Handling multi-party disputes arising from the supply of defective goods which then contaminated other products in the supply chain
- Acting for a claimant in a case which involved allegations of fraud against a senior manager, to include the obtaining of world wide freezing injunctions, and recovery of a significant sum of money.
- Acting as the SRA's agent in the intervention into solicitors' firms
Claims Against Professionals: Susie has experience in professional liability matters and insurance disputes, acting for both defendant and claimant. She also handles complex contractual disputes, which often have an international element. Her experience includes a dispute with a US company arising out of a distribution agreement and several manufacturing disputes involving foreign contractors and suppliers.
Mediation: Cases mediated include an IT dispute involving allegations of copyright infringement of the underlying computer code for a website and breach of contract, a franchise dispute, a shareholder dispute including allegations of overpayment of bonuses and an unfair prejudice claim, an Inheritance Act claim, a claim of nuisance involving three parties including the landlord; a construction dispute relating to a widely defined lump sum contract, a contractual dispute between a local authority and a supplier and a number of other contractual disputes.
Susie s a CEDR accredited mediator. Blake Morgan has a number of qualified and practising mediators who accept direct referrals, as well as instructions via ADR bodies.
Interventions: Susie is an Intervention Agent for the Solicitors Regulation Authority.
Susie Dryden regularly assists with complex and high-value contractual disputes and is also active as an intervention agent for the Solicitors Regulation Authority. "She has gravitas, authenticity, calmness, convincing technical knowledge and a strong willingness to explain the legal points to non-legal persons," recalls one impressed client.
Susie Dryden, who 'picks out the key issues and gets to the heart of the matter', has a longstanding role as intervention agent for the Solicitors Regulation Authority.
Her expertise in undertaking detailed investigations and in asset recovery cases enhances her regulatory work, where she has acted for many years as Intervention Agent for the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) into interventions into solicitors' firms.
An excellent lawyer.
Susie is a very experienced commercial litigator who has advised on a broad range of matters over a number of years. She has been the lead partner on a number of cases involving significant and complex litigation or arbitration, including commercial contract disputes, procurement disputes, IT disputes, engineering disputes, fraud cases and professional negligence claims.
Insights by Susie
The containment measures imposed by the Government have had a significant adverse impact on many businesses in the UK. Supply chains are impacted; there are material labour constraints; planned events...Read More
The recent case of Rogachev v Goryainov  EWHC 1529 (QB) illustrates the importance of full and frank disclosure by an applicant when applying for a freezing injunction without notice....Read More