Thomas is a Senior Associate in our Dispute Resolution team.
Main areas of practice
Property Litigation & Tenancy Management
Much of Thomas’ work includes; drafting and issuing various types of injunctions, dealing with Anti-Social Behaviour actions, rent arrears, tenancy deposits and s.21 proceedings. He also deals with disrepair claims, business tenancy renewals, dilapidation claims and possession proceedings relating to breaches of tenancy conditions. Thomas advises private and business landlords on various tenancy matters and advises land owners on boundary disputes and restrictive covenants.
Commercial Litigation & Dispute Management
Thomas has experience with commercial and general litigation matters including contract disputes, debt recovery, enforcement proceedings, residential construction disputes, terms and conditions, sale of goods and consumer issues. Having previously worked as a Personal Injury litigator for 6 years he has extensive practical experience with general litigation and negotiation.
- Successfully forfeited residential long lease on behalf of a freeholder against a tenant of a flat for substantial service charge arrears.
- Acted for an individual in respect of a complex adverse possession claim of a piece of land behind his garden. The matter was heard at the First Tier Tribunal and the client was awarded possessory title of the land as well as a costs order.
- Acted for a land owner to terminate a complex commercial lease and sub-lease in time for a multi-million pound sale completion with a developer. The tenant, a car showroom, failed to vacate at the date of termination and Thomas was instructed to prepare notices and to advise on the termination and the removal of 150 cars in time for the sale to take place.
- Acted for former tenants of commercial premises in a million pound dilapidations dispute.
- Advised a large housing association on a management agreement in respect of a Property Guardian Scheme they were operating in London and also advised them on the requirements of a licence agreement as opposed to a tenancy agreement in respect of the Scheme.
- Advised and drafted occupation agreements for a large charity in relation to their HomeShare project for people who require accommodation in Oxford which they launched in 2016 .
- Acted for a number of public sector authorities in relation to debt recovery and various property related disputes.
- Acted for a housing association in a dispute regarding the termination of a management agreement in the High Court.
- Issued numerous applications in the county court in respect of opposed and unopposed business lease renewals.
- Acted for a charity in relation to a possession claim against a licensee who claimed tenancy rights as an assured shorthold tenant. Possession was granted in the county court but the defendant appealed to the High Court. He ultimately lost his appeal.
- Acted for a housing association in a successful possession claim against a tenant who was engaged in drugs, violence and grooming young children.
- Acted for a housing association in an urgent injunction against a tenant who had sexual abused a vulnerable tenant.
Thomas has written articles and provided presentations and training on:
- Anti-social Behaviour Crime and Policing Act 2014
- Residential possession proceedings
- The changes affecting Landlords as a result of the Deregulation Act 2015
- Article in Public Law Today and Local Government Lawyer on when it is reasonable to evict a tenant guilty of growing cannabis
- The Prevention of Social Housing Fraud Act 2013
- Appeared on BBC Radio Oxford in April 2016 discussing letting agent fees and the Consumer Protection Act 2015
Thomas is our primary lawyer and “go-to” person. His strengths in all areas of housing litigation and advisory work are of premier league standard. Thomas has excellent client care skills and puts his client first every time.
This has been a new area for us, and it has been a pleasure to work with you on it – thank you.
Thomas has remained on hand and supportive throughout, ready and waiting to receive instructions or give advice whenever we have required it. Thomas' client care towards us is of the highest standard and when some of our more complex matters require his involvement he is always committed to getting the desired outcome.