Thomas' has a very good manner, excellent professionalism and excellent knowledge of his specialist areas of law. He is very responsive and trustworthy.
Thomas is a Dispute resolution expert specialising in high-value and complex Trusts, Probate and Property Ownership disputes. Prized for his pragmatic, commercial, and cost-effective advice.
Main areas of practice
Thomas heads the Contentious Trusts and Estate Team specialising in all areas of Private Wealth and Succession Disputes. Thomas has a particular focus on:
- Wills and succession disputes
- Inheritance Act disputes
- Trust disputes
- Claims against executors and trustees
- Charity legacy disputes
- Trust of Land and property ownership disputes
- Professional negligence claims concerning the administration of trusts and estates
- Court of Protection and mental capacity issues
Thomas originally qualified as barrister being called to the Bar in 2008. He cross-qualified as a solicitor in 2008, having trained at Irwin Mitchell, DMH Stallard and Gregsons solicitors. Following his qualification as a solicitor Thomas spent time at DAC Beachcroft before moving to Moore Barlow LLP where he became the youngest partner at the firm in 2015 at the age of 30. Thomas joined Blake Morgan in 2022 to head up the Contentious Trusts and Estates Team.
- Association of Contentious Trust and Probate Specialists (ACTAPS)
- Contentious Trusts Association (ConTrA)
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP)
- Acting for the beneficiaries of an estate relating to a property ownership dispute involving five London Properties against the executors of another estate. Pleadings involve claims of fraud dating back 20 years.
- Advising the trustees of a SIPP over an order for sale of jointly owned land and a claim for breach of fiduciary against the co-owners of a solar park.
- Acting for the beneficiaries in an Inheritance Act claim by the deceased’s ex-partner involving his abuse of the Deceased.
- Advising the executors of an estate worth c£20 million to reclaim £4 million of life time gifts to the Deceased's partner as a result of undue influence, fraud, and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Acting for the Trustees of an Estate to successfully obtain a freezing order against a beneficiary.
His outstanding qualities are his ability to communicate effectively with clients in dealing with complicated cases and to progress matters with minimal input. There are some very good lawyers I work with, but Thomas stands out on the litigation side.
Tom Middlehurst – proactive, enthusiastic and focused.
Thomas Middlehurst is excellent. I feel like I am working as part of a team with him, rather than just having one brain on the job. He is very astute and comes up with good legal arguments. I know he is also very quick to respond to his clients.
Insights by Thomas
Could a will executed just one day before a marriage be revoked by that same marriage? We take a look at this interesting recent case.Read More
The recent High Court case of Amnir & Ors v Bala & Ors  EWHC 1054 (Ch) highlighted the costs risks involved in pursuing litigation to full trial, particularly in...Read More