Senior Associate Barrister
Very studious and hardworking senior associate barrister Tom Walker has a clear and reassuring way of dealing with the regulators on behalf of both individuals and corporate defendants across an array of health and safety, health and social care, and environment matters.
Tom specialises in criminal, regulatory and professional disciplinary law. Tom provides specialist advice to a range of different clients, including individual employees, Directors and organisations in both the public and private sectors.
Main areas of practice
Criminal and Regulatory: Tom regularly advises in relation to the criminal and regulatory aspects of health and safety, health and social care, environment, planning enforcement, competition, bribery, food safety, trading standards and consumer protection. Tom acts on behalf of prosecutors, and both individual and corporate defendants. Tom provides assistance to clients at all stages of criminal proceedings, and assists with representation at interviews under caution conducted by the police and other agencies. Tom also conducts general criminal work to private clients.
Professional Disciplinary: Tom regularly conducts work on professional disciplinary cases involving health and social care professionals, teachers and solicitors. Tom acts on behalf of regulatory bodies, individuals, and also acts as a legal advisor to professional conduct committees.
Tom can speak conversational French and Hungarian.
He has had the following Published: Assistant Editor of Encyclopedia of Social Services and Child Care Law (2009-2013).
- Regulatory, Disciplinary & Compliance
- Critical Incident Regulatory
- Regulatory and Compliance Support for Businesses
- Advising Regulators
- Health and Safety
Tom is a practising barrister. He received a major scholarship from Middle Temple, and was called to the Bar as Jules Thorne Scholar in 2005. Tom has been involved in legal work since 2001, and has a background in international humanitarian, criminal and prison law.
- Bar Council
- Trading Standards Institute (TSI)
- Extensive Criminal Court and Regulatory Tribunal experience, which includes the successful conduct of numerous multi-day trials, and involvement in a number of complex and high-profile criminal cases involving fatalities.
- Appearing in the Criminal Courts on behalf of prosecutors, to include the HSE, RSPCA and National Park Authorities.
- Involvement in health and safety cases in the agricultural, road transport, maritime, manufacturing, construction, leisure and utilities sectors.
- Advising prosecution agencies in relation to corporate manslaughter and work-related death investigations and acting on behalf of such agencies at inquests.
- Acting for individuals in manslaughter investigations and prosecutions.
- Acting for individual directors and companies in health and social care investigations conducted by the Care Quality Commission and Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales.
- Advising directors and companies in relation to investigations conducted by trading standards agencies in relation to pricing and selling practices.
- Advising very large organisations in relation to EU-wide product recalls, involving electrical, consumer and food products.
- Advising directors and companies in relation to formal undertakings and criminal proceedings under the Enterprise Act 2002.
- Acting for directors and companies in fraud and consumer protection proceedings, to include prosecutions in the Crown Court.
- Acting for clients in water pollution and breach of planning control prosecutions.
- Advising clients in relation to food labelling, health claims, food product recalls, and acting for clients in food safety prosecutions.
- Advising clients in relation to criminal appeals, including applications to the Court of Appeal and the Criminal Cases Review Commission.
- Provision of bespoke training sessions to prosecution agencies in relation to criminal procedure, disclosure and expert evidence.
Advises corporations in relation to bribery, fraud, sanctions and export controls
Advises airports in relation to aviation regulation, aerodrome security and safeguarding matters
Acts for pilots in Civil Aviation Authority Investigations and Prosecutions
Leading the firm’s space safety law initiative and advises in relation to the Space Industry Act 2018
Practising barrister Tom Walker, who is recognised as 'one to watch' for his strong contentious practice, and the development of certain niches including aviation and aerospace/space safety.
Ranked as ‘Up and Coming’"
Insights by Tom
The UK Sanctions Regime is looking set to 'come in from the cold'. Sanctions are no longer a minority interest for niche blue chips and complex multinationals - and all...Read More
Food safety sentencing is currently in the spotlight and we were pleased to bring you a mock trial and sentencing event on Wednesday 26 May. Two recent criminal prosecutions arguably...Read More
One aspect of the unfolding COVID-19 public health crisis is the outbreak of panic buying and profiteering and with it, widely reported instances of attempts to profit from the current...Read More