Senior Associate Barrister
Very studious and hardworking senior associate barrister Tom Walker has a clear and reassuring way of dealing with the regulators on behalf of both individuals and corporate defendants across an array of health and safety, health and social care, and environment matters."
Tom specialises in criminal, regulatory and professional disciplinary law. Tom provides specialist advice to a range of different clients, including individual employees, Directors and organisations in both the public and private sectors.
Main areas of practice
Criminal and Regulatory: Tom regularly advises in relation to the criminal and regulatory aspects of health and safety, health and social care, environment, planning enforcement, competition, bribery, food safety, trading standards and consumer protection. Tom acts on behalf of prosecutors, and both individual and corporate defendants. Tom provides assistance to clients at all stages of criminal proceedings, and assists with representation at interviews under caution conducted by the police and other agencies. Tom also conducts general criminal work to private clients.
Professional Disciplinary: Tom regularly conducts work on professional disciplinary cases involving health and social care professionals, teachers and solicitors. Tom acts on behalf of regulatory bodies, individuals, and also acts as a legal advisor to professional conduct committees.
Tom can speak conversational French, Hungarian and Portuguese.
He has had the following Published: Assistant Editor of Encyclopedia of Social Services and Child Care Law (2009-2013).
- Critical Incident Regulatory
- Regulatory and Compliance Support for Businesses
- Advising Regulators
- Health and Safety
Tom is a practising barrister. He received a major scholarship from Middle Temple, and was called to the Bar as Jules Thorne Scholar in 2005. Tom has been involved in legal work since 2001, and has a background in international humanitarian, criminal and prison law.
- Bar Council
- Trading Standards Institute (TSI)
- Extensive Criminal Court and Regulatory Tribunal experience, which includes the successful conduct of numerous multi-day trials, and involvement in a number of complex and high-profile criminal cases involving fatalities.
- Appearing in the Criminal Courts on behalf of prosecutors, to include the HSE, RSPCA and National Park Authorities.
- Involvement in health and safety cases in the agricultural, road transport, maritime, manufacturing, construction, leisure and utilities sectors.
- Advising prosecution agencies in relation to corporate manslaughter and work-related death investigations and acting on behalf of such agencies at inquests.
- Acting for individuals in manslaughter investigations and prosecutions.
- Acting for individual directors and companies in health and social care investigations conducted by the Care Quality Commission and Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales.
- Advising directors and companies in relation to investigations conducted by trading standards agencies in relation to pricing and selling practices.
- Advising very large organisations in relation to EU-wide product recalls, involving electrical, consumer and food products.
- Advising directors and companies in relation to formal undertakings and criminal proceedings under the Enterprise Act 2002.
- Acting for directors and companies in fraud and consumer protection proceedings, to include prosecutions in the Crown Court.
- Acting for clients in water pollution and breach of planning control prosecutions.
- Advising clients in relation to food labelling, health claims, food product recalls, and acting for clients in food safety prosecutions.
- Advising clients in relation to criminal appeals, including applications to the Court of Appeal and the Criminal Cases Review Commission.
- Provision of bespoke training sessions to prosecution agencies in relation to criminal procedure, disclosure and expert evidence.
Advises corporations in relation to bribery, fraud, sanctions and export controls
Advises airports in relation to aviation regulation, aerodrome security and safeguarding matters
Acts for pilots in Civil Aviation Authority Investigations and Prosecutions
Leading the firm’s space safety law initiative and advises in relation to the Space Industry Act 2018
Ranked as ‘Up and Coming’"
Insights by Tom
The Food Standards Agency is understood to be considering its options following the surprise re-classification of CBD products as a 'Novel Food' by the European Food Safety Authority. CBD is...Read More
Following the vote to leave the EU, there has been considerable speculation as to which EU laws will continue to apply once the UK has actually left the EU. This...Read More
By virtue of the entry into force of Section 85 of the Legal Aid, Sentencing and Punishment of Offenders Act 2012 on 12 March 2015, a number of offences under...Read More