Valya is dedicated and very hard working and will not hesitate to go the extra mile."
Valya is based in our London office and is a member of the Litigation and Dispute Resolution Team. She specialises in general commercial litigation.
Main areas of practice
Valya specialises in general corporate and commercial litigation across all sectors, with a predominant focus on high-value and complex commercial litigation matters, often with an international element.
Valya’s clients are primarily medium to large businesses and high net worth individuals from the UK and overseas.
Valya has a keen interest in social media and in particular its use by law firms and lawyers for personal and professional branding. She delivers annual presentations to students at the University of Portsmouth and Brunel University on personal branding for students and young professionals through the use of social media. She contributed a chapter on social media for law students and future solicitors to the second edition of “From Student to Solicitor: The Complete Guide to Securing a Training Contract”, a book by Charlotte Harrison, a senior lecturer at the University of Portsmouth.
Bulgarian (native), German (conversant) and Russian (basic).
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- International Litigation
- Commercial Disputes
- Corporate and Shareholder Disputes
Valya first joined the firm in 2011 for a 14-month secondment from the University of Portsmouth as part of her LLB degree. She returned to University to complete her degree in autumn 2012, whilst continuing to work with the firm, on a part time basis.
After obtaining a first class honours law degree, Valya returned to work with us full time. Having completed the Legal Practice Course in 2013, with a Distinction, Valya completed her training with the firm prior to qualifying in March 2017.
- Junior Lawyers Division of the Law Society
- Civil Litigation Section of the Law Society
- London Solicitor Litigation Association
- International Association of Young Lawyers
- Acting in a circa USD250 million claim against a FTSE 250-listed Georgian company in relation to breach of delictual obligations under the Civil Code of Georgia;
- Acting for the respondents in their successful defence to an unfair prejudice petition at trial heard over 7 days. Watchstone Group Plc v Quob Park Estate Ltd & Ors  EWHC 2621 (Ch);
- Acting for all the claimants in Commercial Court 6-day proceedings in their successful claim against Watchstone Limited, arising out of a tax indemnity agreement Robert Simon Terry & Ors v Watchstone Limited  EWHC 3082 (Comm);
- Acting for a borrower claimant against Bank of Scotland Plc in an interest rate swap mis-selling claim. On appeal to the Court of Appeal. Marz Limited v Bank of Scotland Plc  EWHC 3618 (Ch));
- Acting for Russian businessman and BVI company in a Commercial Court claim arising out of alleged misappropriation of substantial production business in Russia, including a jurisdiction challenge heard over a two-day hearing. Alexey Bazhanov & Ors v Arkadiy Fosman & Ors  EWHC 3404 (Comm);
- Acting for a financial adviser in defending a professional negligence claim by an investor in the fraudulent Harlequin Caribbean property investment scheme.
Valya has been first class. Very thorough and didactic."